Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Siwash Rock Legends- Clean Fatherhood & More

 I must admit I read the legend recorded by Pauline Johnson here, long ago and did not quite understand all and had to read it a few times, but it makes so much more sense now. Now I have just discovered the link below, I must read ALL, but I have chores to do...but tonight...until then I leave you with this.

Do you know the legend about Siwash Rock?


"Do you think it stands straight–like a man?" he asked.
"Yes, like some noble-spirited, upright warrior," I replied.
"It is a man," he said, "and a warrior man, too; a man who fought for everything that was noble and upright."

"What do you regard as everything that is noble and upright, chief?" I asked, curious as to his ideas. I shall not forget the reply; it was but two words–astounding, amazing words. He said simply:
"Clean fatherhood."

READ MORE HERE-
 you must- it's a beautiful story of fatherhood & motherhood and future generations 
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/johnson/vancouver/vancouver.html#ch-02


Pauline Johnson
Author's Foreword
  http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/johnson/vancouver/vancouver.html#ch-02
 "THESE legends (with two or three exceptions) were told to me personally by my honoured friend, the late Chief Joe Capilano, of Vancouver, whom I had the privilege of first meeting in London in 1906, when he visited England and was received at Buckingham Palace by their Majesties King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. To the fact that I was able to greet Chief Capilano in the Chinook tongue, while we were both many thousands of miles from home, I owe the friendship and the confidence which he so freely gave me when I came to reside on the Pacific coast. These legends he told me from time to time, just as the mood possessed him, and he frequently remarked that they had never been revealed to any other English-speaking person save myself. E. PAULINE JOHNSON (Tekahionwake) These legends are printed by courtesy of the "Vancouver Daily Province," in which journal they first appeared.


Here's a painting I made 5 or 6 years ago...



"Siwash Rock stands to remind them, set there by the Deity as a monument to one who kept his own life clean, that cleanliness might be the heritage of the generations to come."

 "a monument to one man's fidelity to a generation yet unborn–and will endure from everlasting to everlasting"

I love Siwash Rock! I have painted it and photographed and I do believe we need to honor Siwash Rock and make sure that everyone knows about it and the beautiful story that is told about it by the Squamish Nation.

This painting is from 2001 I believe.



This is a little video  made of photos in Stanley Park and around the Seawall.