Thursday, October 20, 2016

Reflection Paper – Artistic Expression Story & Design

Reflection Paper – Artistic Expression Story & Design

Tina Winterlik- ABST 2100 Langara Reconciliation Carving Cohort


My Transformation Story- The Butterfly & the Moon

A long long time ago when things were much different, there lived a beautiful young woman. She was sad, she had had a difficult life and could not find her way. She felt lost and looked to the sky for guidance. (1)

One night as the moon shone bright she looked up and asked the moon to please bless her with happiness and help her fly to the moon. How she would love to fly like a butterfly up in the sky all the way up to the moon.

She laid done in the grass and fell asleep while dreaming about the butterfly and the moon. (2)

When she awoke she felt so small. Everything was huge...she felt awkward, thick and odd. She felt totally different. As she went to rise, she rolled. What was happening...where were her hands, legs...she must be dreaming. (3)

She needed to move, so she inched her way along the ground until she got to a tree. She had to get up high so she could see what was going on. Inch by inch she struggled, up the tree, it was so hard.

At times she wanted to give up but she knew she had to get up to that branch, then she could figure out where she was and what was going on. Alas she reached the top. (4)

For the moment she forgot her exhaustion, and looked in awe. There she could see the beautiful abundant ocean, she could see whales blowing in the distance and the salmon were jumping. Otters and seals played in the kelp beds. Herons stalked their prey as eagles soared over head. (5)

Suddenly a songbird flew down and nearly attacked her...terrified she faced reality. (6)

She was a caterpillar. That was the truth as much as she wanted to deny it. She started to cry. Why? Why had this happened. Why was she a caterpillar and what could she do? She couldn't wake up, she'd tried. (7)

Suddenly she was extremely tired. She needed to lie down and sleep. She was cold. She needed to snuggle up and take a nap. She found a nice cosy leaf and snuggled in. Oh, it felt so good. It felt like all the weight of the world was being lifted from her. She felt so light. (8)

After a very very long nap, she awoke, she felt so stiff, she needed a big stretch. Suddenly she felt claustrophic, she had to get out, something was holding her tight, keeping her a prisoner, she must burst free. She pushed hard and out she went. (9)

She had broke free, she stretched her wings. WINGS! She had wings. Big beautiful wings, where, how, what had happened. She realized her wish had been granted. The spirits of the universe had heard her. The moon had heard her. (10)

Now she was free. Free to fly and off she flew. Up, Up, UP to the moon. That big beautiful silvery moon. When she got there she kissed the moon's cheek and whispered ever so softly a secret in her ear. Then off she flew. Higher and higher, until she could be seen no more. (11)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This story was a vision and was based on events/signs that happened to me.

After feeling deep gratitude as I was leaving class one day. I had been doubting my ability to actually carve because of my weak wrists and then Shane Pointe showed me something and I was so happy. As I was walking I found a caterpillar, so unusual and I brought it home and my kid was thrilled. We put it in a container and it quickly changed into a chrysalis/cacoon. This was very exciting because we had be told several times to think about transformation and I took it as a strong sign to me.
https://mylangaratrccarvingjourney.blogspot.ca/2016/09/carving-class-transformation-and-fun.html

Caterpillar I found after class
 
cacoon/chrysalis it transformed into

Then shortly after the moon woke me up one night, as a photographer I love to take photos but something amazing happened, I took the most amazing closeup photos of the moon I had ever done. I could actually see the craters. This was so incredible I felt that was a very strong sign to.
https://mylangaratrccarvingjourney.blogspot.ca/2016/09/moontime-teachings.html

Moon that woke me up


Finally I believe the violence that the mothers (and fathers) and children faced and face from residential schools, child welfare systems, social injustices and environmental, are played out in the everyday violence against the mother earth.

-------------------------------------------------------------

(1. Many people especially children of Residential schools and their children feel lost and disconnected and that they do not fit in and can not relate to family)

(2. We all have dreams of a better future)

(3. Feelings of helplessness no matter what you try)

(4. Survivors are incredibly resilient, determined, they have overcome so much)

(5. Survivors know and remember the old days before the Residential schools and they want to revive that way of life to protect they're children and children's children and the next 7 generations.)

(6. Life is dangerous in many ways, often men attack women and children, society is prejudiced especially against single mothers)

(7. Life gets you down, and you ask why me, why, what did I do to deserve this)

(8. If one is fortunate and perseveres, sometimes amazing events happen to transform ones life in a positive way)

(9. Fight back against social and environmental injustices. )

(10. Miracles can happen and one can grow and be blessed with opportunities)

(11.Adventure and Enlightenment await. )

-------------------------------------------

Portuguese
Portuguese People
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_people

Possibly related info -Lusitanians

The Lusitanians (or Lusitānus/Lusitani in Latin) were an Indo-European speaking people (likely Celtic) living in the Western Iberian Peninsula long before it became the Roman province of Lusitania (modern Portugal, Extremadura and a small part of Salamanca).

They spoke the Lusitanian language, of which only a few short written fragments survive. Most Portuguese consider the Lusitanians as their ancestors. Although the northern regions (Minho, Douro, Tras-os-Montes) identify more with the Gallaecians.

It has been hypothesized that the Lusitanians may have originated in the Alps and settled in the region in the 6th century BC. Some modern scholars consider them to be indigenous and initially dominated by the Celts, before gaining full independence from them. The archaeologist Scarlat Lambrino proposed that they were originally a tribal Celtic group, related to the Lusones.

The first area settled by the Lusitanians was probably the Douro valley and the region of Beira Alta; then they moved south, and expanded on both sides of the Tagus river, before being conquered by the Romans.


Portuguese Embroidery Designs


UPDATED INFORMATION REGARDING MY HERITAGE
Previously I had posted these links but now have much more acurate information

https://mylangaratrccarvingjourney.blogspot.ca/2016/09/my-portuguese-metis-and-songhees.html
https://mylangaratrccarvingjourney.blogspot.ca/2016/09/my-heritage-and-7-generations.html
I have some really good news in respect to finding out more about my heritage/ancestry.
I got the actual diary from my Great Grandpa John Enos from the RoyalBC archives

I found out so much.
This is how it all breaks down.
Parents-Shirley Enos- Leonard Winterlik (Bohemian)

Grandparents- Joseph Enos - Anna Anderson (Swedish)

Great Grandparents- John Joseph Enos- Mary Anne Poirier (Metis)

Great Great Grandparents- Joao Ignacio d'Almada (John Enos)(*) & Theresa Eliza Enos(Songhees)

Great Great Great Grandparents- Jose Ignacio d'Almada(*) and his wife Bernardina Jacintha(*)

Great Great Great Great Grandparents- Manuel Francisco d'Almada(*) and his wife Ana Bernardina Dos. Prazeres(*)

I don't understand this part, so need to research it more,
Maternal Grandson of Bernardo Jose de Fontes(*)
(*Portuguese)

Now my friend who has been researching the Portuguese pioneers- he has some great videos online, he helped me find the actual baptism record of my Gr. Gr. Grandpa from the Azores and this is what he said.

Email from Manuel Lopez- Portuguese Pioneers of BC blog
http://portuguesepioneersofbc.blogspot.ca/
emmanuelopes@gmail.com

Emailed Info Regarding John Enos's Heritage



I bolded the important part, see he was on of that 5 along with Joe Silva (Shore to Shore Sculpture-)

This is so interesting for me.

Mostly the diary spoke of his daily routines..hauling turnips, looking for the cows, all the hard work he did and the weather each day but it does mention his mom, Theresa Eliza Enos - who I know from a document in the archives - says she is Songhees but doesn't mention her Indigenous name which makes me so sad.

And it mentions that Gr. Grandpa John Enos (who my kid says we should call Jo Jo) that he married Mary Anne Poirier - and we know that Metis

Songhees- The Songhees use a specific type of designs.





Metis
Moon- Metis/Women
I found an image of women gathered around the moon for the Metis's women circle and so will use this as a symbol for women and Metis as well as draw inspiration from the Metis Motif in this video.
https://mylangaratrccarvingjourney.blogspot.ca/2016/09/metis-research-elder-teachings.html



Bohemian
Bohemian Glass
Butterfly- Freedom - Bohemian lifeystyle
Bohemian Crystal- use designs and possibly incorporate into wings of butterfly
The butterfly represents freedom to me and thus the Bohemian lifestyle as well as Bohemian crystal which designs can be represented in the butterfly's wings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_glass



Swedish
Swedish Knitting Traditions
http://www.knittingtraditions.com/knitting-resources/knitting-traditions/swedish/



Lastly I am drawing inspiration from this painting that I created recently.
https://mylangaratrccarvingjourney.blogspot.ca/2016/10/tail-of-tears-painting.html

Title: Tail of Tears
Media: Oil on Canvas
Size: 30" × 40"
Artist: Tina Winterlik aka Zipolita

The water drops represent the tears of all Residential School Children, their parent's tears and my tears having read and learned their terrible fate. 

I was reading The Survivors Speak and crying while I painted them.

In my #Reconciliation #Carving Class at #Langara College, Shane Pointe let us hold a #whale's tooth when we were in the #talkingcircle 

The waterdrops also represent all the #whale #tears for all the whales that died at the hands of whalers. #artTherapy #art #oilpainting #painting


Art by Tina Winterlik aka Zipolita © 2016
Let it be noted here, as I have told my daughter and my friend, this painting is NEVER to be sold. I will keep it as long as I live and it can be donated to a museum or such but I feel it is sacred and I want you all to be aware. October 20 2016
 
 Here are some ideas for designs at the bottom of this blogpost
https://mylangaratrccarvingjourney.blogspot.ca/2016/10/indigenous-cbc-asked-what-does.html

Beginnings?/Ideas for Whorl

Beginnings?/Ideas for Whorl

Beginnings?/Ideas for Whorl

Beginnings?/Ideas for Whorl

Beginnings?/Ideas for Whorl